Pedro Rebelo de Sousa
Partner with SRS Advogados (Portugal)
Capital Markets, M&A
T: +351 21 313 20 30
F: +351 21 313 20 01
Pedro is the Founder and Managing Partner of SRS Advogados (SRS) which succeeded in 2009 Simmons & Simmons in Lisbon. SRS has offices in Lisbon, Funchal and Oporto, as well as in Angola, Brazil, the Cape Verde Islands and Mozambique. Pedro has particular experience of capital markets, and international corporate and project finance transactions. Together with the Financial Markets department of SRS, Pedro advises numerous financial institutions as well as asset managers, hedge funds, investment funds and private equity funds.
Recent experience includes:
- Advising on the creation and registration of harmonised and non harmonised funds in Portugal.
- Advising on the marketing and distribution of funds in Portugal.
- Advising on the creation and registration of fund management companies in Portugal.
- Advising on the establishment and management of real estate funds in Portugal.
- Advising numerous hedge funds and asset managers on regulatory issues in Portugal, including on short selling regulations.
- Advising international asset managers on the acquisition of assets in Portugal.
- Advising on the acquisition of fund management companies in Portugal.
- Advising on the establishment of a carbon emissions fund for a Portuguese Bank.
- Advising and assisting on disciplinary procedures brought by the Portuguese regulator (CMVM).
- Advising funds and asset managers on the acquisition of qualified participations in listed Portuguese companies.
- Advising on the distribution of, and regulatory issues relating to, unit linked insurance products.
- Advising private equity funds on the acquisition of assets in Portugal.
- University of Lisbon.
- 1977 – Qualified lawyer in Portugal and Brazil.
- 1979 – Post graduate in Business Law from PUC Brazil.
- 1980 – MBA, Getúlio Vargas, Brazil.
- 1977-82, lawyer with Citibank, Brazil.
- 1982-85, assistant general counsel Citibank, Brazil.
- 1985-1990, vice president Citicorp Investment, New York.
- 1990-1992, CEO and chairman Banco Fonsecas & Burnay, Portugal.
- 1993-2001, Partner Simmons & Simmons Rebelo de Sousa.
- 2001-2009, Partner Simmons & Simmons.
- 2003 - Founder and currently Chairman of Portuguese Corporate Governance Institute.
- 2004-2009, Board Member Simmons & Simmons.
- 2006-2009, Member of Partnership Committee of Simmons & Simmons.
- 2012 – President of the UIA Banking Commission.
- 1993 onwards, non executive board member/chairman of the shareholders meeting of various companies, including Alcatel, Banif, Novabase, Banco Caixa Geral (Brazil), Caixa Geral de Depósitos, BPN, Intesa SanPaolo IMI, Sumolis, Portugal Telecom, Galp and Cimpor.
Pedro speaks Portuguese, English, Spanish, French, German (working knowledge), Italian (working knowledge).