Fernando de las Cuevas
Partner with Gómez-Acebo & Pombo, Abogados, S.L.U. (Spain)
Capital Markets, M & A, Investment Funds
T: +34 91 582 9132
F: +31 91 582 9294
Fernando de las Cuevas is Head of Corporate at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo, Abogados, a leading Spanish firm with five offices in Spain and three overseas, and more than 300 lawyers. Fernando advises on a broad range of corporate and capital markets matters. On investment funds he regularly advises a large number of regulated and non-regulated investment funds, private equity funds, securities brokers, portfolio managers, banks and saving banks.
Recent experience includes the following projects:
- Acquisition of an asset manager in the United Kingdom acting for the Spanish acquiror (an asset management company);
- Advice to a leading Spanish funds platform to plan for its internationalisation including the establishment of a presence in several European Union and Latin American countries;
- Incorporation of asset managers in Spain and opening of branches in Spain of foreign asset managers;
- Drafting of internal codes of conduct and customer service rules for Spanish asset managers and also adapting to Spanish law codes of conduct of non EU asset managers for application to their Spanish business;
- Together with on-going advice on the registration of funds and subfunds with the Spanish regulator (CNMV), and advice on mergers and restructuring of funds and subfunds.
- Education: University of Deusto (Bilbao): Law and Business Administration; College of Europe: Degree in High European Studies; Harvard University: P.I.L.;
- Working experience: European Free Trade Association (Geneva): Researcher; Foreign Associate with Shearman & Sterling (New York), 1985-86.
- Partner with Gómez-Acebo & Pombo, Abogados since 1990; Head of Financial Services: 1993-1997; Managing partner: 1998-2000;
- Head of Corporate: 2007 to date.
Spanish, English and French.